Child Pornography Defense
Fighting for your best interests regarding child pornography charges in Columbus OH
Crimes involving children always carry heavier penalties than those of other offenses, especially when it comes to child pornography. You need a defense attorney that will take the time to understand your side of the story, help investigate your case, and prepare a defense. The criminal defense attorneys at Scott and Nolder Law Firm, LPA know the complexities of child pornography charges, and we will do everything we can to help you avoid a long, unfair prison sentence.
Define Child Pornography
Child pornography is the visual depiction of children under the age of 18 engaged in sexual activities or lewd, erotic behavior for the sexual stimulation of the viewer. This may include actual or simulated sexual intercourse with minors, deviant sexual acts, bestiality, masturbation, sado-masochistic abuse, or the exhibition of genitals in a sexually arousing fashion.
Child Pornography Laws
State and federal child pornography laws are very strict, and carry severe penalties. It is illegal to knowingly possess, receive, distribute, or produce sexualized images of children under the age of 18.
- Possession: The possession of any form of child pornography—including digital files and unprocessed film—is illegal. Possession of sexual images or video is punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison.
- Distribution: State and federal law enforcement agencies work hard to fight the distribution of child pornography. Distributing child pornography via mail, the internet, or by any other means is punishable by a minimum of five years in federal prison.
- Production: Producing child pornography is the most serious offense of all, and comes with a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years in federal prison. Some people who are convicted of producing child pornography are sentenced to 30 years in federal prison.
Consequences of Conviction
In addition to prison, people who are convicted of child pornography offenses will have their lives changed in a number of other ways. A skilled child pornography defense attorney may help you avoid the following consequences:
- Lifestyle Challenges: Having a child pornography conviction on your record will make it very difficult for you to take out a loan, find a job, or even find a place to live. Convicted felons also give up their right to vote or run for office.
- Sex Offender Registry: People convicted of child pornography offenses are considered sex offenders and must add their names to a national sex offender registry. Having your name on such a list can seriously limit your opportunities, including where you can live and what jobs you can perform.
- Child Visitation Rights: A child pornography conviction can take away your right to be with your own children.
Since child pornography is such a serious offense, developing a strong defense can be a challenge, but the experienced child pornography defense attorneys at Scott and Nolder Law Firm, LPA have the knowledge and skills to help you achieve the justice you deserve. Some common child pornography defenses include:
- Accidental Downloading
- Downloading by Others
- Illegal Search and Seizure
- Reasonable Belief of Age
- Mental Illness
- Lack of Evidence
To learn more about state and federal child pornography laws, call the Columbus office of Scott & Nolder Law Firm at (614) 285-3059. Our Columbus child pornography defense attorneys will do everything they can to get your charges reduced or dropped completely.