Representation At International Consent Verification Hearings

If a United States citizen is convicted of a crime in a foreign land and sentenced to prison, it is possible to have that sentence transferred to the United States so that it is served within the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Similarly, if a non-United States citizen is convicted of a crime and imprisoned in the United States, it might be possible to have their custody transferred to their homeland. In order for either of these scenarios to occur, both the country where the conviction was entered as well as the client’s homeland must be parties to a treaty recognizing this procedure, both countries must also agree to the transfer, and the client must consent to have his custody transferred. Steven S. Nolder has extensive experience in these matters as Mr. Nolder has provided representation to Americans who have been incarcerated in Japan and has traveled to that country on several occasions to provide representation at consent verification proceedings.