Building Strong Sex Crime Defense Cases in Ohio
Sex-related crimes are extremely serious, and only reliable and skilled sex crime attorneys like those found at Steven S. Nolder Law Firm, LPA have the knowledge and dedication to ensure that you receive the justice you deserve. It is important to consult an experienced sexual assault defense attorney as soon as possible if you even suspect you are under investigation for sex crimes. Our attorneys will begin building your defense by contacting witnesses, reviewing police reports, and taking every necessary step to protect your rights and reputation. In order to build the most compelling defense possible, we will explore every avenue and leave no stone unturned.
Types of Sex Offenses
When it comes to sex offenses in Columbus, OH, our Columbus sex crime lawyers are experienced defending the following sex-related crimes, which include:
- Sexual Battery: Sexual conduct through coercion or taking advantage of someone whose ability to consent is substantially impaired. Also applies if you are a person of authority in their life, if they are unaware the act is being committed, or if they mistakenly believe you are their spouse.
- Possession and/or Distribution of Child Pornography: Having in your possession and/or distributing visual representations of children and minors under 18 participating in lewd, erotic, or sexual activities.
- Unlawful Sexual Conduct with a Minor: Sexual intercourse with a person under 16 years old, even if both individuals are consenting or underage.
- Internet Sex Crimes: Using the internet to lure or entice a minor, to distribute/view child pornography, or commit another sexual offense.
- Importuning: Soliciting an individual who is less than 13 years old to participate in sexual activity, regardless if you knew the age of the victim ahead of time.
Convictions for Sex Crimes Carry Stiff Penalties
On top of including your name on the list of registered damaging your reputation, losing your job, and destroying relationships with friends and family, the repercussions for sex crimes are severe.
- Sexual conduct with a minor: Anywhere from six to eighteen months in prison and a fine of up to $5,000
- Possession of child pornography: No mandatory minimum sentence, but the maximum sentence is 20 years in prison.
- Receipt and distribution of child pornography: Mandatory minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 20 years in prison.
- Production of child pornography: Mandatory minimum penalty of 15 years and the maximum sentence is 30 years.
- Enticement: Mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison
Possible Defenses for Sex-related Crimes
At Steven S. Nolder Law Firm, LPA, we offer aggressive, proactive, and strategic defense to protect your rights in the face of sexual charges. Many times, these cases are built on the allegations or testimony of the alleged victims, so we will do everything we can to weaken the prosecution’s case before it ever goes to trial. Some potential defense strategies:
- Your lack of criminal record, good grades, or psychological evaluation shows that you are a person of good character and, therefore, unlikely to commit the alleged offense.
- The alleged victim has a history of making false accusations.
- The allegations are baseless and inaccurate.
- The prosecution lacks evidence.
- The sexual activity was consensual.
- The victim has mistakenly identified the wrong person as the offender.
- You have a clear-cut alibi for the time the offense took place.
- The alleged victim is lying.
Fight Your Sex Crime Charges
At Steven S. Nolder Law Firm, LPA, we offer aggressive, proactive, and strategic defense to protect the rights of our clients facing sex crime charges. We believe that everyone deserves an aggressive defense. Contact our criminal defense law firm today to speak with a lawyer.