Common Questions

What is the fee for a consultation?

Selecting a defense attorney is one of the most important decisions in your life. Call us to talk about the specifics of your case. Make sure you are comfortable with our firm. At the consultation, we will discuss what potential penalties you will be facing. We will also analyze your options, and provide you with information regarding our fees.

How much will it cost for you to handle my case?

It depends on the charges you are facing. For some charges, we assess legal fees on a flat rate basis. For other, more complex charges, we bill on an hourly basis. Please call to discuss your specific case and we can provide you with more details.

We accept all forms of payment: cash, check, money order, and credit cards.

What is “bond” and what does it mean for me?

A court requires a bond to insure that a defendant will appear for trial. Bonds do not always require signatures or payment. There are generally 3 different types of bonds seen in Ohio courts: (1) recognizance bond; (2) appearance bond (also known as a ten percent bond); and (3) a cash or surety bond.

  • A recognizance bond is a promise to appear in court without requiring any additional security.
  • An appearance bond or ten percent bond requires a defendant to post money with the court and if the defendant appears as required, at the end of the case, the money will be returned to the defendant less expenses. Usually, the court will set a bond and require the defendant to post 10% of the amount. For example, if the bond is $10,000, the defendant would have to post $1,000.
  • A cash or surety bond requires the defendant to post the full amount of the bond with the court. Many times, a defendant needs to use a bondsman in these cases. A bondsman charges a premium to post the money with the court. For example, if the bond is set at $50,000, the bondsman may charge the defendant $5,000, which is not refundable.

How long will the case take to be resolved?

In some cases, such as traffic tickets and misdemeanors, it is possible your case will be resolved quickly with few court appearances. In other more serious or more complex cases, when it is your best interest, we will recommend that you waive your right to a speedy trial so that we have more time to conduct a thorough investigation and prepare an effective and compelling defense. We will move forward with your case as efficiently as possible always thinking about your best interests.

What is going to happen in court?

Depending on where your case is tried, federal, state, mayor’s or juvenile court, the practices and procedures are all different. When you retain us, we will answer all your questions about what will happen and what you should expect before you ever have to step into a courtroom.

Will I be expected to attend all court proceedings?

Unless you hear directly from our office, you should plan to attend every court proceeding. Judges frown on Defendants who miss their court dates and if you are not in court, it may create the appearance that you are not taking the charges seriously. By attending each and every court proceeding, and dressing and acting in an appropriate and respectful manner, you will make a positive impression on the judge. Moreover, your presence is required at most court proceedings and if you do not show up, the court may issue an arrest warrant for failure to appear.

Can you get an old conviction removed from my record?

The process of getting an old conviction removed from your record is called “expungement.” The laws in Ohio are making expungement of many convictions impossible. For example, sex crimes, crimes of violence, and traffic violations (including OVIs) cannot be expunged. Moreover, your charges may not qualify to be expunged based on your prior or subsequent criminal record. Call our office to see if you qualify to have an old conviction “sealed” or expunged from your record.

I have already been convicted. Can you help me now?

Most criminal convictions can be appealed unless you have waived your right to appeal. However, you must file a notice of appeal in a timely manner. We are experienced in handling state and federal appeals. Call us as soon as possible to discuss your options.

Contact Our Firm Now