Local Jail Population Decreases From 2008-2013

After a peak in the number of inmates confined in county and city jails at midyear 2008 (785,533), the local jail population was significantly lower by midyear 2013 (731,208). The jail incarceration rate—the confined population per 100,000 U.S. residents—declined between midyear 2012 (237 per 100,000) and 2013 (231 per 100,000).

Local jails admitted an estimated 11.7 million persons during the 12-month period ending June 30, 2013, remaining stable since 2011 (11.8 million) and down from a peak of 13.6 million admissions in 2008. Males represented at least 86% of the jail population since 2000. Since 2010, however, females must be on a naughty streak as their inmate population increased 10.9% (up 10,000 inmates) while the male population declined 4.2% (down 27,500 inmates). White inmates accounted for 47% of the total jail population, blacks represented 36% and Hispanics represented 15%.

At midyear 2013, about 60% of the local jail population was awaiting trial while the other 40% had been convicted and were awaiting sentencing, were serving a sentence, or were awaiting transport to a prison to serve a sentence.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *